Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Trash To Treasure: Strike it Rich!

Trash to Treasure

This post is dedicated to my good friend Sarah Z.  She is also an artist, and has an uncanny knack for finding free stuff people have discarded and turned them into treasures for her own home. One thing for certain: I need to hang out with her more often!

This first photo is of a storage hutch that we got free from a friend cleaning out his garage. Sadly, at the time we brought it home, that ugly green actually matched our interior. But since we've gone all grey, we had to do something about that hutch:
We used an oil based Behr paint (no real reason for using oil based, that's just what we had left over from when the fireplace was painted so we used it!) and painted most of it black, leaving the pale wood color for some variation. We also removed the red wooden hardware/knobs and replaced them with brushed nickel instead. But what a difference! And it was free!

Now this will make you jealous. This is Sarah's latest find. Can you believe someone left these two beautiful pieces out by the curbside on bulk trash day?
Unbelievable!  I spoke with Sarah yesterday and she agreed to let me do a blog post on her amazing treasures and also feature the makeovers she's currently doing in her own new house.  She's in the middle of moving right now, so it could be a while but trust me, you won't want to miss that post!  I'm totally excited to share it with you!

Here is another trash to treasure transformation that I found on Pinterest:
I love how she repainted it distressed white and added the black hooks and replaced the glass with mirrors. So clever!

Next Post: My Studio (the BEST room in the house!)  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment