Saturday, July 5, 2014

My PhD is in Cleaning

Cleaning Basics

When staging a house for sale, the number one priority is to make sure it is CLEAN.  Especially prone to dirtiness are the sinks, toilets, blinds and around the door handles.  To do a basic but thorough cleaning of these areas, you'll need these:
By no means is this my entire arsenal of cleaners, but with these basics you can pretty much clean the most visible parts of any house. They are: Windex, Clorox Cleanup with Bleach, Clorox Wipes, Wood polish, Febreeze and Microfiber cloths.  I would also add a feather duster, a vacuum and a steam mop but they wouldn't all fit in the picture.  Do you know about Spot Shot?


Spot Shot is the Holy Grail of carpet cleaning!  With Spot Shot and a scrub brush there is no stain or spot that can't be removed I SWEAR BY IT.  You spray it on the spot and can watch it start to dissipate; at that point you step on the spot with a pad of paper towels to soak it out of the carpet fibers, then use your scrubber to scrub the carpet back into shape. I wish all cleaning products were this amazing!  Wait till it dries and then you can vacuum (NEVER vac wet!)

Speaking of rugs: My neighbor had a bulldog with a bladder problem and had hauled this rug out to the curb thinking it was ruined. I said "You throwing that away?" He thought I had lost my mind when I drug it across the street to my back yard. Long story short, I totally rescued this rug AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL!  I would have had to pay a fortune for this new!


Ok, so blinds. Hardest thing to clean, like, ever, especially if they've been dirty for a long time. I take the blinds down (you unhinge the things at the top of the window and they slide right out) and set them in a bathtub of warm soapy water. The grime comes off with a sponge. Yes, you have to wipe down each slat, but you will be glad you did it. Rinse them off, pat dry and rehang. Another way to do it is to put a couple of nails on the top of your fence out back and spray them with a hose. You still have to use the sponge, but some people think it's easier than hauling them to the tub. I will admit, the slats don't move around as much with the hanging technique, but I use the bath tub method for the ones that are extra grimy. They just get cleaner.  If you use the fence technique at a property that isn't yours, be sure to carefully remove the nails when you're done!  :)

Floors

Vacuum: I have a Dyson and I love it.


It's bagless, and it truly never loses suction (unless it's completely and overly full. Don't do this, as it gets hot and is really bad for the motor). It's also very easy to clean the brush head which catches a lot of hair, strings, fibers, etc. You just flip it open and clean it off. I typically do the vacuuming very last if I can. I know it seems crazy but I like to see the lines in freshly vacuumed carpets! LOL! My kids grew up going around rooms that I had just vacuumed so as not to leave footprints in THE LINES.  Besides, you want potential buyers to feel like they are looking at a brand new house and that they are the first to see it. I don't know why this psychology works, but it does. And agents always appreciate it.

Steam Mopping: I can't say enough about my Steam Mop. It is so much better than traditional mop and bucket mopping, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. It cleans hardwoods, tile, laminate flooring, concrete floors, any hard surface floor can be steamed and it uses no cleaner! The steam does the work. My steam mop has three settings, low medium and high. Most of the time I use it on low, and medium in the bathrooms. I have used it on high on some tile in my daughter's rental house that I thought would NEVER come clean, and sure enough, it did! I had to go over it twice (it had once flooded and not ever been cleaned. Can you believe a landlord would leave a floor like that?)  But we left it looking spotless.

Febreeze:  I know the realtors usually like to light a candle before they show a house (some agents bake bread or cookies!) because let's face it, nice smells put us in a positive mood and people in a good mood are likely to feel positively about the house you're showing.  But I leave the candles to the agents. After I have cleaned a property, I give every room a couple of spritzes of Febreeze.  It's fresh, not over powering at all and leaves a nice clean smell in the house, like you've opened a window on a fresh spring day.  Personally, I like the smell of bleach; it means I GOT STUFF CLEAN! But it can be kinda harsh, so Febreeze is my friend.

Clorox Cleanup Spray: great in sinks, on counters, inside showers, toilets, just know that it does have bleach in it so use care not to get it on carpets, curtains, etc.

Clorox Wipes: these contain NO BLEACH and clean grime off of just about every surface, especially around door knobs, window sills, baseboards, banisters (you don't realize just how nasty banisters can get until you clean one)!  I couldn't do without my Clorox wipes. My husband bought a store brand (see photo) but I protested. Clorox Wipes smell nice, they are thick enough and they truly get stuff clean!

A clean house is more likely to get higher offers, plain and simple. A grimy house is going to make potential buyers wonder what else is wrong with it that they can't see.  Never show a dirty house again!  Call me!  :D

Next post: Landscaping




No comments:

Post a Comment